[mythtv-users] backup device

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 21:56:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:15:08 -0400, Tom E. Craddock, Jr.
<sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:
> Mercury Morris wrote:

> >>http://www.mondorescue.org/
> >
> >Mondo looks like it should almost be required
> >for any well-managed installation.  Thanks Jarod,
> >for bringing it to the mailing list.
> >
> >After reading thru the HOWTO PDF for Mondo etc.,
> >I'm concerned with not being able to find all the
> >packages that Mondo requires.  In fact, the very
> >first package, afio, seems to have disappeared from
> >Red Hat some time after Red Hat 6.0.
> >
> >Jarod, have you found that afio isn't really needed?
> >Or, if it is needed, where did you find it?
> >
> >Thanks, and thanks again for bringing Mondo/Mindi
> >to light.
> >
> >--
> >MM

> All RPMs youll need are in the dload aread of the mondorescue site. Just
> recently installed it on a few of my boxen. This is from the bottom of
> the dload page at mondorescure.org
>
> Anything missing?
>
> If your Red Hat <http://www.redhat.com>, Mandrake
> <http://www.linux-mandrake.com> or other RPM-based distribution lacks
> certain crucial packages, the Mondo RPM will not install. Feel free to
> navigate the online copy of the Mondo Install CD
> <http://www.mondorescue.org/download/MondoCD/index.html> to find and
> install the missing packages.
>
> See the Documentation <http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/docs.html> page
> if you have problems running or installing Mondo or Mindi.
>
> Reading a bit more will help you find it faster the next time.
>
> Tom E. Craddock

Thanks, Tom.  I will read more next time.

In the meantime, here is another question:

Having now found the missing packages,
such as afio, is there any concern about
installing packages that are two and a half
years old onto up-to-date Fedora Core 2 ?

I can guess the answer.  All of the missing
packages must have installed without any
problems and Mondo/Mindi must perform
well.  Otherwise, would Jarod have posted?

I suppose my questions might seem a bit
ill-formed and not well thought out.  May be.
But when it comes to backup, I have yet to trust
anything that I didn't write myself.  I was only
trying to get a feel for how much trust Jarod,
and any other users of Mondo, have in it.

--
MM