[mythtv-users] backup device

Tom E. Craddock, Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Thu Oct 21 22:16:18 UTC 2004

Mercury Morris wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:15:08 -0400, Tom E. Craddock, Jr.
><sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:
>

>>Mercury Morris wrote:

>>>Mondo looks like it should almost be required
>>>for any well-managed installation.  Thanks Jarod,
>>>for bringing it to the mailing list.
>>>
>>>After reading thru the HOWTO PDF for Mondo etc.,
>>>I'm concerned with not being able to find all the
>>>packages that Mondo requires.  In fact, the very
>>>first package, afio, seems to have disappeared from
>>>Red Hat some time after Red Hat 6.0.
>>>
>>>Jarod, have you found that afio isn't really needed?
>>>Or, if it is needed, where did you find it?
>>>
>>>Thanks, and thanks again for bringing Mondo/Mindi
>>>to light.
>>>
>>>--
>>>MM
>>>

>>All RPMs youll need are in the dload aread of the mondorescue site. Just
>>recently installed it on a few of my boxen. This is from the bottom of
>>the dload page at mondorescure.org
>>
>>Anything missing?
>>
>>If your Red Hat <http://www.redhat.com>, Mandrake
>><http://www.linux-mandrake.com> or other RPM-based distribution lacks
>>certain crucial packages, the Mondo RPM will not install. Feel free to
>>navigate the online copy of the Mondo Install CD
>><http://www.mondorescue.org/download/MondoCD/index.html> to find and
>>install the missing packages.
>>
>>See the Documentation <http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/docs.html> page
>>if you have problems running or installing Mondo or Mindi.
>>
>>Reading a bit more will help you find it faster the next time.
>>
>>Tom E. Craddock
>>

>Thanks, Tom.  I will read more next time.
>
>In the meantime, here is another question:
>
>Having now found the missing packages,
>such as afio, is there any concern about
>installing packages that are two and a half
>years old onto up-to-date Fedora Core 2 ?
>
>I can guess the answer.  All of the missing
>packages must have installed without any
>problems and Mondo/Mindi must perform
>well.  Otherwise, would Jarod have posted?
>
>I suppose my questions might seem a bit
>ill-formed and not well thought out.  May be.
>But when it comes to backup, I have yet to trust
>anything that I didn't write myself.  I was only
>trying to get a feel for how much trust Jarod,
>and any other users of Mondo, have in it.
>
>--
>MM

Hey,

Yes, you can install those rpms from the mondo CD on your FC2 system.  I
have it running on 3 PCs (2 Myth boxes) and 1 Laptop all running FC2.  I
havent had a /need/ to use the backup discs Ive made and I dont burn
mine, but save them to a NFS share I have; I do trust it tho.  Ive used
it on my GW/Router for over a year (which runs RH9) and have had need to
use the restore function on that, and it worked flawlessly, restored
everything I had lost and was as if the I had never had that Hard Drive
failure on the GW/Router. Do make sure that you specify which
directories to backup....on my Laptop I dont want mondo to backup ALL
60GBs, only the important things, so I left out my NTFS mount, the media
directories (they are backed up on a diff machine) etc. and that make my
backups quite smaller and sped mondo up.

Tom E. Craddock