[mythtv-users] 2 short questions.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 22 02:46:05 UTC 2004

thor wrote:

>On Wednesday 20 October 2004 11:41 am, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com wrote:
>
>>I was just hoping to reduce the number of mythbackend
>>processes/childs/threads. I don't watch that much TV and I can't see why
>>there would need to be that many waiting threads/processes.
>>

>	The backend keeps a pool of instatiated threads around to serve requests as
>they come in. This avoids the cost of starting a new thread on every request,
>which is a good thing.
>
>	1) Threads in the same process share the same memory.
>	2) A non executing thread uses (essentially) no CPU resources.
>
>	Given 1 and 2, I personally fail to understand why people seem so concerned
>with how many threads are in use.

I agree.  Besides, what else are you going to do with your processor
cycles?  Sure, the idle thread *seems* to need a lot of processor time,
but my system has been doing great since I installed BOINC/SETI (
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ), even though it took all the
processor time away from the idle thread.  ;)

Mike