[mythtv-users] Best TV-Out Support

Asciimonster asciimonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 22 10:33:31 UTC 2004

Zach Paine wrote:

>Greetings.
>
>I'm planning on setting up a linux box I have around with MythTV.

Salesman voice: You've made an eccelent choice, sir. ;-)

>I'm
>actually most concerned with tv-out support.  So my question is, which
>video card has the best linux tv-out support?

There are three roads you can go:
1. Videocard with TV-out. Some TV-Outs are not (yet) supported in Linux
or are a bit quirky, so please get a lot of info before you buy one of them.
2. Buy a separeate monitor-to-tv converter. Advantages: Easy set-up, no
limit on the TV-cards you can use(besides the motherboard-issue of
course). Most large,  well-supplied electronics stores should have one.
3. A TV-Card with intergrated TV-Out, such as the Hauppauge PVR 350. (I
have one so I'm a bit biased)
Advantages: Good image quality, bypasses monitor completely, so no issues.
Disadvantages: Expensive (think $200-300 per card), Set-up is still
fiddelly (good HOWTO's are available & will get better ;-) )