[mythtv-users] Backend with really crappy hardware

Ed Lea ed at orangebits.cx
Fri Oct 22 10:45:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 01:17:29PM +0300, Kalle Pokki wrote:
> I just realised I have an old 66 MHz 486 machine with 64 MB memory in my
> storage room. Has anyone successfully run the backend with such a slow
> machine? I don't intend to run an X server or really anything else than
> what is absolutely necessary with that box. I do have two DVB tuners but
> just writing the data streams to disk shouldn't take too much cpu.

I tried a whle ago with a 120Mhz Pentium, about that much RAM and  a
Nova-t card. It was having none of it.

I can't remember exactly what was wrong, bandwidth somewhere meant I
couldn't push the data from the card onto the hard drive fast enough. It
could have been to do with the hard drive of course, but I remember it
not working at all well.

--
Ed.

Any small object that is accidentally dropped will hide under a larger object.