[mythtv-users] Backend with really crappy hardware

Travis Kelley rhatguy at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 13:07:44 UTC 2004

You are correct about the hard drive issues...but that can pretty easily
be overcome by using a smaller hard drive to boot from.  I have an old
celeron 300a->450 system as my backend.  It didn't detect my 120 gb hard
drive so I installed a 400mb drive as the boot partition (possibly the
largest boot partition ever) and then linux has no trouble seeing the
larger hard drive after the kernel loads.  Then I just spin down the
small drives in my startup scripts so its not sitting there wasting
power all day.  Ah the joys of linux on old hardware.