[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause problem - my conclusions - 2.6 kernel

Buechler, Mark R Mark_R_Buechler at bausch.com
Fri Oct 22 17:43:24 UTC 2004

A few days ago I put together some spare hardware (PII @ 500/100mhz, 320megs
RAM) for another MythTV frontend. I decided to install SuSE 9.1 with the new
2.6 kernel. I'm using a CVS version from 9/10 compiled for SuSE 8.2. When
watching live TV I get every 2-4 seconds "prebuffering pause". When I watch
a recording it's a bit less often but still quite noticeable. I read several
posts concerning this problem and do a bit of debugging and basically get
nowhere. The steps I followed:

1. Re-compile MythTV for SuSE 9.1 using a new CVS version - no difference.
2. Re-compile QT for SuSE 9.1 - no difference.
3. Re-nice X and mythfrontend to -15 - no difference
4. Move cards around making sure no cards are sharing IRQs - no difference.
5. Replace overclocked PII with a PII 400 and run it at 400 - no difference.
6. Swap memory making sure memory is true PC100 - no difference.
7. Remove soundcard thinking Myth could be waiting on audio IO - no
difference.

At this point the only thing I could think to try and getting rid of the 2.6
kernel in favor of a 2.4 kernel I have on all the rest of my Myth boxes. I
did a fresh install of SuSE 8.2 and started up Myth in live TV. Bingo! No
prebuffering pause!

Has anyone else encountered issues with Myth under 2.6? Could it be
something particular with SuSE 9.1?

- Mark.

Bausch & Lomb
150 Years of Perfecting Vision, Enhancing Life (TM)

EMAIL DISCLAIMER

Please Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential, protected from disclosure, and/or intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering
disclosure, distribution, copying or other dissemination of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in
error, please immediately reply to the sender, delete the message and
destroy all copies of it.

Thank You