[mythtv-users] backup device

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:35:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:19:24 -0700, Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 October 2004 14:56, Mercury Morris wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:15:08 -0400, Tom E. Craddock, Jr.
> >
> > <sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:

> No problem, though I've actually already mentioned it on the list several
> times. :-)

> Its needed.

> For Fedora Core 2-specific packages:
>
> http://boba.fastservers.net/mondo/download/MondoCD/RPMS/FDR/2.0/index.html
>
> (that's one of the official mirrors, not just some random site)
>
> > Having now found the missing packages,
> > such as afio, is there any concern about
> > installing packages that are two and a half
> > years old onto up-to-date Fedora Core 2 ?
>
> If you're downloading them from the link above, there shouldn't be any concern
> at all.
>
> > I can guess the answer.  All of the missing
> > packages must have installed without any
> > problems and Mondo/Mindi must perform
> > well.  Otherwise, would Jarod have posted?
>
> Nope. And I even know one of the developers personally, he's a big RH/FC guy,
> works for Pogo Linux here near Seattle, and a member of my LUG(s).
>
> > I suppose my questions might seem a bit
> > ill-formed and not well thought out.  May be.
> > But when it comes to backup, I have yet to trust
> > anything that I didn't write myself.  I was only
> > trying to get a feel for how much trust Jarod,
> > and any other users of Mondo, have in it.
>
> Understood. I trust it completely, been using it for over three years now.

Thank you, Jarod, for a complete and reassuring reply.

What irony for me, tho.  This morning, my mythtv system
bit the dust, when I lost one of the two WD2500JD drives.
It was the worst luck, since the surviving drive had only
the /video partition on it.  So, yup, if only I had had Mondo
in place before the bad luck hit, I might have been able to
restore what was a well-running mythtv-0.16 system.

Oh well, it was such fun the first time, it's bound to be
even more fun the second time around.  This time, Mondo
will be right near the top of the list of things to install, after
2.6.8-1.521 is back in place.

Thanks again, Jarod.

--
MM