[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

jack jr at jrh.net
Sat Oct 23 05:48:37 UTC 2004

While mythtv is fairly general it does actually store encoder specific cards
like the pvrXXX series and the pchdtv cards in their native format. Ie, the
*.nuv files are actually just mpg or ts files respectively with a nuv
suffix. There is no way the PVR350 is going to play a pchdtv atsc stream.

On the other hand there is EVERY reason to want to do what you are asking, I
really can't understand Jarod (who otherwise is an absolute font of good
information) saying there isn't.  An atsc stream of even standard definition
programming is going to usually blow away the ntsc equivalent, no matter the
source, including cable, over the air, and satellite. So while you are not
going to be able to use the pvr350 for your output, getting it working is
not a bad idea by any means. You will need a fairly beefy machine to either
resize in real time or transcode ahead of time.