[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 25 19:11:08 UTC 2004

On Saturday 23 October 2004 16:41, Chris Curtis wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2004, at 6:12 PM, Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:
> > Resampling is not very expensive. But decoding HDTV in software
> > requires
> > about a P4 3Ghz and encoding a 640x480 MPEG2 stream requires about the
> > same amount of hardware. So you are looking at a P4 6Ghz just to avoid
>
> This is a stat i keep seeing... Is there a consensus on a minumum for
> decoding HDTV on an Athlon XP, Sempron, or A64?

I have no problems at all with an Athlon XP 3200+ and a GeForce FX 5200. CPU
usage ranges anywhere from 60% to 85%, depending on the filters applied and
the source. I haven't had a chance to do much benchmarking yet, but usage
does seem a little lower since moving to a 2.6.9 kernel compiled with gcc 3.4
(versus my prior 2.6.7 kernel compiled w/gcc 3.3). Still need to figure out
what is going on when I try to compile Myth w/gcc 3.4, the frontend likes to
bomb out for some reason. Probably going to shift from 0.16 to CVS next
weekend, since a whole bunch of stuff relevant to my setup has been added
recently...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com