[mythtv-users] Frontend hangs and loses conneciton to backend

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 25 19:18:45 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 14:50, James Purl wrote:
> Yes! I have an LVM2 partition on my main mythbox of 495GB (yes, thats
> ~1/2 TB)

Eh, not bad. After my weekend drive shuffling, my master backend has a logical
volume dedicated solely to recordings totaling 650GB. Then 600GB in another
machine dedicated to mp3/ogg and DVD rips. :-)

> and almost like clockwork when it hits 91% full, the IOBOUND
> errors.  I am using reiserfs and according to their site, once
> partitions start getting close to full, performance can suffer.  On an
> LVM2 partition of that size, the "suffering" is magnified to the point
> that my system grinds to a halt virtually.  I witnessed the same
> problem simply cp'ing a file to the same partition when it was 91%
> full, which confirmed that MythTV was simply a victim of the system.
> According to namesys, all filesystems suffer to some extent, so that
> could be what you're seeing.

Hm, haven't seen this volume get that full yet, but when I had a single 250GB
drive formatted w/XFS, I did fill it up completely a few times, never any
IOBOUND errors that I noticed... (though I wasn't looking).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...