[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 25 20:19:35 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 12:49, Preston Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:11, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > I have no problems at all with an Athlon XP 3200+ and a GeForce FX 5200.
>
> I haven't checked the CPU load, but on my Athlon XP 2500+ (barton core)
> and GeForce FX 5200, I'm having some trouble with my current settings on
> Myth

I'm guessing you're frequently pegging your CPU.

> but it works great using "mplayer -vo xv /dev/video32" to watch
> TV.

I actually get better results viewing with Myth. My signal isn't great, which
may be the cause of mplayer's issues (bad audio sync, occasional loss of
audio, occasional pixelization).

> I'm using Jarod's XF86Config file, so instead of true 1080i, it's
> 540p (and the horizontal resolution is cut in half).

You're using my *old* config file. (See below :-)

> My to-do list includes:
>
> * Try to get a real 1080i mode working (is it even possible with the
> latest nVidia drivers?)

My currently posted X config file includes 1080i modes that work quite nicely
w/the nvidia 6111 driver. I'm actually running 880x480p for the UI and
standard-def TV, 1760x960i for high-def TV, both of which fit just about
perfectly on my TV, no overscan.

> * Get Myth to play as well as mplayer.
> * Benchmark the CPU load
> * Experiment with transcoding of HDTV
>
> Issues with HDTV and Myth that I think are still outstanding:
>
> * Auto-switching of video modes to match source (1080i vs. 720p
> primarily)

I wish my TV supported 720p... This is just an xrandr thing. Enable "separate
modes for playback and UI", set your UI mode (540p mode highly recommended
over 1080i mode for readability) and your default mode, then set overrides
for other content. I have 880x480 as my UI mode, 1760x960 as my default
playback mode, then an override for 720x480 content to display in 880x480. If
I could actually do 720p, I'd have an override for that matching 1280x720
content. Of course, you must also have all these modes defined in your X
config file and validated when the X server starts up.

> * Graphics assume a 4:3 display, so they look weird on a 16:9 (at least
> with the blue theme)

I think part of it is that I'm just used to it now, but both GANT and
Titivillus look good to me in 16:9.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com