[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Mon Oct 25 21:07:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Monday 25 October 2004 12:49, Preston Crow wrote:
>
> > * Auto-switching of video modes to match source (1080i vs. 720p
> > primarily)
>
> I wish my TV supported 720p... This is just an xrandr thing. Enable "separate
> modes for playback and UI", set your UI mode (540p mode highly recommended
> over 1080i mode for readability) and your default mode, then set overrides
> for other content. I have 880x480 as my UI mode, 1760x960 as my default
> playback mode, then an override for 720x480 content to display in 880x480. If
> I could actually do 720p, I'd have an override for that matching 1280x720
> content. Of course, you must also have all these modes defined in your X
> config file and validated when the X server starts up.

If you are *not* compiling Myth up yourself, then the "separate modes for
playback and UI" mode is not available.  You need to enable xrandr in
settings.pro, when you compile myth.  Xrandr defaults to disabled, since it
is unclear which distributions include it.

Xrandr does not work well with all window managers.  For example, forget
about using it with ratpoison.  It works pretty well with KDE, WindowMaker
and Window Manger Improved.  I personally use Window Manager Improved:

http://wmi.modprobe.de/

It is a *very* lean window manager which can be used complete without a
mouse.  It is a little funky to learn how to use, however.

When using xrandr, make sure the *first* show you watch after starting up
X/Myth invokes the highest resolution desired.  After that everything works
quite well.  If the first show you watch invokes a lower resolution, when
you do need a higher resolution, it will sometimes mask off part of the
screen.  I occationally think I have found a solution to this problem, but
then it happens again...oh well.

John

--
"I'm an internationalist", John Kerry told The Crimson. "I'd like to see our
troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United

"President Bush will never cede the best interests of the national security
of the American people to anybody but the president of the United States,
along with the Congress" -- Kevin A. Madden, Bush spokesperson