[mythtv-users] Recordings Randomly Fuzzy w/ PVR-250

Paul Pick paul.pick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 03:03:57 UTC 2004

 I'm reviving an old thread, so I'll quote a bunch of the message:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:11:24 -0300, Paul Pick <paul.pick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just started noticing that about 35% of my recordings have wavy lines
> > throughout the entire picture making it hard to watch.
>
>  My myth system is a fc1 install, which tracks atrpms. My pvr350
> sometimes records with vertical stripes and strange colours (pretty
> much unwatchable). This condition has existed since my initial installation
> back in April. From what I've observed, once the 350 gets into this state,
> almost all (95+%) of the recordings will be stripy. Sometimes, it will boot in
> this state. More commonly, it takes a week or two to happen. I'm
> not sure if I'm imagining it but I think that powering off the system
> entirely (power supply shut off for 5-10 seconds) decreases the likelihood
> of the system booting in the stripy state (vs a simple reboot).
>
>  I haven't noticed if live tv is affected, 'cause I never watch live tv.
> I'll be sure to check that out next time.
>
> > Has anyone else seen
> > this problem with the 1.10pre2 ck108k version of the IVTV drivers?
>
>  My current ivtv is 0.1.10-45-pre2 ck108k, from atrpms.

 The vertical wavy lines showed up tonight and corrupted
four recordings across four different channels. I switched to
live tv mode and there they were... but, when I switched
the channel, they went away instantly!

 So... what's the difference between my changing the
channel manually and the backend doing it to start a
recording? The only thing that occurs to me is the
on-screen display. But, I regularly watch recordings
via the same 350 and have OSD happening all over
the place... which doesn't 'cure the wavies'. Heck, I
was watching a recording tonight during an attack
of the wavies and didn't know it until after I finished
and saw that the evening's recordings were all junk.

 Anyway, if this is purely an ivtv thing, I'll take it over
to that list. I was thinking that the difference between
'live tv channel switching' and 'backend channel switching'
could be a myth thing, so I figured I'd mention it here first.

--
"We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different!"
 -- Kurt Vonnegut