[mythtv-users] Out of the box

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 26 03:48:05 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 19:06, David Whyte wrote:
> Do you think that linux newbies who want to use myth should follow
> Jarods guide to the word?

Not quite to the word, because there are necessary updates I haven't had a
chance to make yet (mostly in the ivtv area, I believe, and mostly wrt the
350's output). But for the most part, by the word should work. :-)

Linux newbies who just don't want any hassle whatsoever probably ought to look
at KnoppMyth first though.

> I was told mandrake was the best flavour
> for newbs but Jarods guide is based on FC2.

Much of it applies to other distros as well, though the installation parts are
certainly very FC-specific. I always suggest that using whatever you're most
comfortable with is probably the best option, so if you're more comfortable
with Mandrake, then use Mandrake. The maintainer of the official Myth
documentation runs Mandrake, so you should be able to get a working system
following the official docs. They even point to Myth rpms for Mandrake.

> Do I just make the switch to FC2?

I've done a Myth install on four different distros (RH/FC, Gentoo, Debian and
SUSE), and I find FC the easiest, but that's what I'm most familiar with
(been using RH professionally for years now). The choice is yours. :-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...