[mythtv-users] Observations - Delete recordings not freeing disk space

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Oct 27 13:12:18 UTC 2004

A week or two ago there was a thread concerning deletion of recordings
not freeing
up disk space that I followed because I noticed some strange things
going on with
delete recordings.  I've made several observations since then that I'd
like to share in
the hopes that it may shed some light on what the problem may be.  I
don't know if
any of my observations are directly related to the problem or are
completely different
problems.

First, my set up is a combination BE/FE machine with the recordings
stored on an
NFS share from a RH8 machine.  Myth 0.16 is running on FC1.  All
installed using
Jarod's guide.  My NFS server and client setup is as per the
instructions from the Myth
docs.

All of my observations concern the "delete recordings" screen.

First, when I delete a recording, the display of the amount of disk
space available
does not update unless I leave the "delete recordings" screen and then
return.  However,
the amount of disk space available only changes by a fraction of the
size of the
recording that was deleted.  E.G.  Deleting a 3.9 G recording results in
only 2.5 G of
disk space being freed (by Myth's indication).  If I use "df" the amount
free'd is
actually the 3.9 G.

My second observation concerns when the last recording is deleted.  Like
my first
observation, update of the free space on the delete recordings screen
does not occur
until I leave then return to the "delete recordings" screen.
Additionally, after deleting
the last recording, it is still listed in the list of available
recordings until I leave
then return to the "delete recordings" screen.  Unlike the first
observation, the amount
of disk space made available is greater than the size of the recording
that was deleted.

My third and last observation is that in all cases, the amount and
percentage of disk
space available displayed in the "delete recordings" screen does not
match what "df"
tells me is available.  It appears to be off by 2 G, or about 10% (small
share).

Has anyone else who is experiencing the "failure to free disk space"
problem noticed
strange behaviour like what I've described?  The problem doesn't concern
me much
because other than not reporting the correct amount of space available,
this problem
isn't causing me any problems.  I just wanted to get my observations out
here in the
hopes that they may be helpful in tracking down the problem.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown