[mythtv-users] Collaborative recommended viewing revisited...

Tim Litwiller tim at litwiller.net
Wed Oct 27 14:19:27 UTC 2004

Mike Benoit wrote:

>I'm becoming more and more interested in getting a collaborative
>"Recommended Viewing" feature added to MythTV.
>
>I tried a module that uses Bayesian filters to try and recommend new
>shows quite some time ago, but I found it didn't work very well.
>Personally, I think there is no substitute for other humans making the
>recommendation themselves.

I think your idea in combination with baysian classification might work.
or combined with a ratings module so the user could rate the show they
just watched.

It might work like this for example

I watch a show when I quit or the show ends I get a screen that asks me
to press 1 - 9 to rate the show so I press a number the next screen asks
me to press 1 to submit my rating or 0 to go back to the recordings menu
or if quiting before the show ended the menu that asks if you want to
bookmark etc. - and also times out in several seconds and goes back to
the recoding menu without submitting.

this should be able to be setup to send automatically or to ask each
time and then either que the ratings to send in a batch at the same time
as mythfilldatabase it run or sent right away.

this info combined with the schedule list would seem to me to make much
more usefull suggestions than just what is scheduled.