[mythtv-users] MythRecommend module, gathering stage... [was: Collaborative recommended viewing revisited...]

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Thu Oct 28 04:13:54 UTC 2004

Well, I got a decent response from people when I started the
"Collaborative recommended viewing revisited..." thread, so I spent a
couple hours and completed the "first stage" of MythRecommend.

http://ipso.snappymail.ca:8080/mythrecommend/mythrecommend.pl

By default the script prints the help. If you pass it the --dry-run
option it prints out the data it gathers, WITHOUT sending it. Not until
you pass it the --send option will ANY data be sent to the central
database.

The script does create a unique id and stores it in a file for future
runs, the main reason is to keep database bloat down. The first time you
run the script, it sends all your CURRENT (not past) recordings, any
time after that, it only sends changes.

It is 99.99% anonymous, and stores NO personal information for the
paranoid ones out there. ;)

Ideally the script would be run from cron on a regular basis, nightly,
or once a week is fine.

Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will have the second stage done,
which will actually recommend new shows for you to watch. Can't really
recommend new shows to watch without gathering some data first
anyways. ;)

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>