[mythtv-users] Hardware for Best TV-Out?

Dan Lanciani ddl5 at danlan.com
Thu Oct 28 20:13:57 UTC 2004

Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:

|I have no doubt that the EGA Wonder
|produced good looking TV output if you had to code it up for NTSC rates.

No, it still didn't. :(  There was lots of ringing and some weird geometry
distortion or blooming or something I didn't really understand.  It was
worse than an Apple ][.

|> | 	It would appear that $200 is the magic number for something
|> |"professional enough" to put out good, standards-compliant signal.
|>
|> Just to be clear: you aren't saying that there exists something I could
|> buy for $200 that will do what I want, right?  Because I'd be happy to
|> spend that money.  Or even twice that money...
|>
| 	I thought you said that the Harmonic Research does exactly
|that.

Sorry, I was unclear.  I meant a complete solution to provide NTSC out for
Myth.  Without seeing for myself, I don't yet accept your premise that
running the RGB output of an nVidia card through (even a good) NTSC encoder
will give me what I want. :)  I'd have to think about whether it would be
worth spending the money just to try.

|From their site, it looks like model CV121A is it, and can be found
|online for $250ish (quick check).  You said you already have the component
|version of it?

This is interesting.  I have a CV233.  The RGB version is the CV223.  The
CV121/CV131 series used to be the ones that did not provide a locked sub-
carrier and cost less than half as much.  Looking at the description of
the CV121A/CV131A they now list locked sub-carrier as a feature!  I wonder
if they really changed the design or this is more market speak.  If they
really changed the design and kept the cost low, I can't see why anyone
would bother with the CV2* series anymore (surely not just for the BNC
connectors).

|You could always buy/build an RGB-Component transcoder (an
|analog generation loss, though) to run through the one you've got.

Yes, I've considered that.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl at danlan.*com