[mythtv-users] Changing channels with Serial Port???

Justin Tan jhtan.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:39:41 UTC 2004

Hi,

  I am trying to setup MythTV with DirecTv.  I have the DB9-RJ6 cable
hooked to the low speed data port of my satellite reciever.  I need to
know how to activate the serial port.

I am a TOTAL NOOB at linux, so please be help me out as best you can.

I think I setup everything correctly in mythTV.  Cuz when I try to
change channels, the backend says:
"/dev/cua0 unable to open device"
something like that

Initially I didn't have any cua* in /dev/, so I found some info on the
web to do "mknod" (i have no idea what that does).  But I think that
made a cua*, but not a real serial port.  Can someone start me off
from ground zero on getting serial ports to work?

I am running a clean install of Gentoo linux.   I went off a Stage 3 tarball.

Do I need to build serial port drivers into the kernel?  If so which
ones and how?

Thanks!

-j