[mythtv-users] Re: Crazy VNC idea

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Oct 29 11:47:36 UTC 2004

>> > ... so I installed vnc and fired up
>> > vnc on my work laptop upstairs.  Once I logged in, I brought
>> > up mythfrontend, and voila!, I was running myth on my laptop
>> > over VNC.  I can do everything, but I have no sound.
>
>vnc is great for remote admin on fast networks. It's good for running
>through mythsetup, but VNC doesn't support xv or sound and it's a
>screenscraper, so you're going to drop a lot of frames.

Yeah, that's essentially what I was seeing...

>If you want to view shows on your laptop, there are two reasonably
>good solutions:
>
>1) install dsmyth filters - (http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net), configure
>mythtv to allow remote connections and mythweb/configconf.php to
>stream vides via a myth://1.2.3.4/ like URI - use mythweb on your
>laptop and stream recorded shows via the dsmyth filters - see also
>winmyth (http://winmyth.sourceforge.net)

That sounds like a good idea.  I like the WinMyth option or dsmyth.

>2) install linux on your laptop and install mythtv. Treat your laptop
>like a mythtv frontend.

Yeah, um, I think my employer wouldn't like that.  Dual boot may be
an option...maybe I'll look at something like PartitionMagic or
something...

>or get hacking on mythtv on cygwin and run mythtv from windows. Could
>we someday see mythtv packages show up in cygwin setup?
>
> -Ross

That's cool too.  Almost like option 1, but with some additional
functionality...

Thanks for the ideas.

Paul