[mythtv-users] linksys WRT54G to linksys WAP54G to mythbox

Michael Fenston fenston-myth at san.rr.com
Fri Oct 29 14:55:36 UTC 2004

I have an existing WRT54G that I connect to my cable modem and that
feeds the wireless access to my house.  So I bought a WAP54G and figured
I could connect the RJ45 port of this device into the RJ45 of my mythbox
(as the mythbox is in my living room w/o CAT5 connection).  The WAP54G
comes configured as an access point which didn't do what I wanted
(figured this out after a painful tech support call where I thought I
needed to buy another WAP54G).  Turns out the solution is to configure
the WAP54G as a repeater and then you can use the RJ45 port on it to
access the network (logically reasoned out that this should work -
linksys tech support was worthless).  It also will serve dual purpose I
think as it will act as a repeater.

I tried the prism54 route and actually got my SMC2802V1 card working but
the signal strength out in my living room to this card was bad and I
guess the prism54 linux drivers are not so tolerant of this (box would
hard lock up with screaming interrupt messages + the connection was so
slow I needed to do something like this anyway).  So in any case, hope
this helps someone who wants to wirelessly access their mythbox.  The
price for the access point wasn't much higher than the refurb 2802 card
I bought at unity electronics for $40 ... the access point was around
$60 on amazon + I save a PCI slot.  Note this will only work if you
already have a WRT54G (which I think is pretty popular) ... link below
on how to configure access point as a repeater.

-Mike

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=231&p_created=1084206995&p_sid=15BoT7ph&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDAmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj00JnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=