[mythtv-users] MPEG recordings

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:06:35 UTC 2004

>  >>I cannot play them in a
> >>"standard" media player, such as Windows Media Player, even if I rename the
> >>extension to '.mpg'.  I am guessing that this is what is happening:
>
> Install vlc from http://www.videolan.org.  You can then associate .nuv
> (or .mpg if you want) with VLC and that's that.  I use the videolan
> client program all the time to watch MPEG-2 content.

Has anyone considered using videolan on the mythtv server side as a
*STREAMING SERVER* for mpeg content? Nothing is listed about NUV input
support, but... I presume it could be added with a little work

http://www.videolan.org/streaming/features.html
http://www.videolan.org/doc/videolan-howto/en/ch04.html#id2532662

A couple of possible intereting uses would be:

1) change mythweb to stream recorded programs via some standard
streaming protocol that doesn't require dsmyth and Windows

2) multicast contents of ringbuffer

3) unicast/multicast of videos to provide streaming video in common
formats to Windows/Mac/Unix clients

-Ross