[mythtv-users] Weird behavior with top

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Fri Oct 29 23:09:48 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I've been running Myth for a month or so, now and I have had problems
with performance with my Celeron 2.4.  This was discussed in a previous
thread.  Well, I have kinda resigned myself to no LiveTV and killing
recordings when I want to watch a recording at the same time.  I feel
bad about this resignation, but I didn't receive conclusive responses
from the list about this.  Some said I was seeing the performance I
should see, some were saying I should get much better performance.  I've
seen some comment about their machines doing much greater things than
mine seems to be able to do.  ANYWAY.

On my box, for some really odd reason, when Myth is the one taking the
CPU (front or backend), top does not show the top running process.  This
seems really strange.  If I sort by CPU, nothing comes to the top that
is above 5%!  I thought maybe this was some weird glitch with top, but
then I was just gzip'ing a large file and gzip was taking 45% of the
CPU.  I thought, "That's odd."  I checked and sure enough, Myth was
recording something.  I stopped the recording and suddenly gzip was
taking 95% of the CPU.  Is this normal behavior that all of you see on
your boxen?  I am starting to wonder if I am missing some critical
multi-threading library or something.  Or, my box could be
demon-possessed and need an exorcism.  Who knows???

I am fully committed to Myth now, as I just got the full WAF when my
wife watched something like 6 of her favorite HGTV/Food Network shows
without commercials and zero assistance.  I even heard her brag to her
sister on the phone about it!

Matt