[mythtv-users] Re: OT: Zap2it Labs Email

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Sat Oct 30 03:10:02 UTC 2004

Just the fact that they sent out this letter makes me doubt that Zap2It really
knows who is violating it.  If there are hardware and software packages using
it against the policy they should do like every other entity does and sue
someone.  Suing a company would be easier (and more lucrative) than going
after people.

This is the conspiricy portion of me talking, but  I really think this is the
start of a campaign to become a fee based service.   It makes enough sense to
get a lot of people using the service than change over.  How much money could
they be making off the statistics we provide when we do the questionairre to
re-up the service every few months?   They've got to pay for themselves
somehow.   It would not bother me as long as it was reasonable...

Of course the data and the service are theirs to do with as they see fit.  If
they want to yank free support then thats up to them.  If they think selling
Mythtv boxes is violating their rules then its also up to them.  You could
hash it out till the cows come home - but in the end you don't really have a
contract with them anyway.