[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with FX5200 TV-Out

Michael S. Keller samsara at tulsaconnect.com
Sat Oct 30 04:55:05 UTC 2004

> 1080i: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/cbs-in-hd.nuv
> 720p: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/abc-in-hd.nuv

Both of these play for me, though the ABC clip plays better (the CBS
clip's audio sounds a bit too compressed, like it's single sideband).
Neither fills the screen and when I do anything that invokes the OSD, I
get stutter thereafter unless I save position, exit and restart play.

Hardware is

Celeron 1.4GHz, board capable of only 2x AGP
nVidia FX5200
256MB
ATA-133 controller with 200GB disk
XvMC enabled (if I disable XvMC, I get stutter)

Running Myth 0.16, compiled to use XvMC.

Built-in transcode to RTjpeg or MPEG-4 results in unacceptable stutter
on playback. The RTjpeg file is huge, even with a low quality setting,
while MPEG-4 does result in a smaller size. I see from the change in the
OSD display that XvMC is apparently not being used for playback of
either of these formats. I haven't kept up with the development list to
know if that will change.

I sure hope it will, because it looks like my current machine can just
handle playback if XvMC is used and I don't look forward to keeping the
original (huge) MPEG-2 files around.

Waiting for my HD-3000 cards to arrive. . . .

-Michael