[mythtv-users] Zap2it - hoting zap's data on another server to lessen the load?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Oct 30 06:35:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:42:56PM -0700, Steve Dorsey wrote:
>    Does it make sense for someone to hose Zap2it data on a private
> server so that the MythTv load would not be absorbed by the Zap folks?
> If this is feasible, I'd donate some or all of my domain to hosting the
> data (It can't be THAT big!) - assuming the bandwidth isn't insanely
> huge.
>
>    What are the technical and legal constraints here? I definitely would
> not want to violate copyrights.

This is one of the main things that TMS does *not* want people to so,
although I don't think it was specifically this that prompted the
recent email.  They want to know how many people are getting the data,
and have some control over the distribution.

If you are running multiple independent mythboxen in one household
(though I don't know why you would, except for development), I can't
see that they would be that hyped about *that*, but otherwise?  Naw.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi