[mythtv-users] Some nice features from VDR

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 06:47:54 EDT 2004

Nick Craig-Wood wrote:

>I was reading the changelog from VDR and noticed these two features
>from the latest changelog...
>

>>It is now possible to record several channels on the same
>>transponder with "budget cards". VDR automatically attaches a
>>recording timer to a card that already records on the appropriate
>>transponder. How many parallel recordings can actually be done
>>depends on the computer's performance. Currently any number of
>>recordings gets attached to a card, so you should carefully plan
>>your timers to not exceed the limit. On a K6-II/450 it was possible
>>to record three channels from transponder 12480 with a single WinTV
>>NOVA-S.
>>

>This would be very useful in the UK.  There aren't very many
>multiplexes (6 total, 3 with interesting stuff on) and I've often
>found that when I have a recording clash it could have been resolved
>with this feature.
>

>>Timers that record two successive shows on the same channel may now
>>overlap and will use the same DVB card. During the time where both
>>timers record the data is simply saved to both files.

The MythTV scheduler was updated to allow this feature last year (I
tested it with a "fake" config), and I have no reason to believe that it
has been broken or removed since. Kenneth Aafloy did also produce an
experimental patch to make each mux appear as an input on a virtual-DVB
card, but I never managed to make it all hang together. The DVB code was
then updated sufficiently that the original patch does not apply.

This level of coding is probably beyond me ;-) but I would be happy to
test/try any code that hits the list that works on latest CVS.

Regards,
Steve