[mythtv-users] My next Myth box

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 17:03:04 EDT 2004

Personally, I think it's waaaaaay overpriced, like most Alienware stuff (I
make a bit of cash convincing some people to let me build a system for them
rather than splash out for an Alienware, and yes I do do support, so I am
rather biased ;).

But the thing has an ATI-TVW, which won't work properly in Linux for a
start. And call me a luddite, but I prefer a bit of the ol' CRT goodness
for watching TV and movies; I've still not seen an LCD that could beat a
CRT monitor or TV for maximum density, nor for configurable resolutions,
dot pitch, etc etc (all the usually anti-LCD stuff). Maybe the funkalicious
$6000 system has a kick-ass LCD, but it's not going to be very Linux
friendly without replacing half the hardware, and it only seems to allow
one HDD... which is probably SATA offof an onboard controller, so the
chances of it being a supported one are again slim.