[mythtv-users] How does HW mpeg decoding get controlled at runtime?

Michael Shiloh michael at makingthings.com
Wed Sep 1 21:20:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what happens when I select hardware mpeg decoding
in settings/tv/playback at runtime. What flags are sent to what programs?
Are kernel modules removed and installed? Are drivers controlled? Are application
programs (mplayer in my case) given special switches?

I've been searching through the source code but have not yet been able to tease
out what happens. I can see that if HAVE_VIASLICE is defined at compile time,
then it causes the function mpeg_via_decode_init which has, at the end:
        avctx->via_hwslice = 1;
but what in turn does this do ?

Thanks,
Michael