[mythtv-users] new kernel problems

Kyle Kelly kyle at kylekelly.com
Wed Sep 1 22:46:42 EDT 2004

Jim Coates wrote:

> lisa ~ # ls -l /dev/lir*
> crw-r--r--  1 root root 61, 0 Sep  1 03:58 /dev/lirc
> srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Sep  1 07:58 /dev/lircd
> prw-r--r--  1 root root     0 Sep  1 03:58 /dev/lircm

I just installed lirc on my latest gentoo installation.  It required the
use of lirc cvs and a few other steps.  This forum page helps greatly:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1448997

You also might encounter some problems compiling the lirc cvs as well.
I needed to issue the make command as root for it to finish, then it
would get an error at line 813 in lirc_dev.c.  I believe just commenting
it out solved this problem.  I then needed to follow the steps discussed
in the last post in that forum page, ie mknod etc.

Hope that helps.