[mythtv-users] nuv to dvd problems

Chris Wall chris.wall at cbrworld.com
Thu Sep 2 10:29:10 EDT 2004

Hi,
I have a PVR-350 and a Plextor 712A DVD burner, so I am recording my
programs in mpeg2 format.  In searching through this list and others I
found these code snippets to record a DVD for playing on standard DVD
players:
********************************
#!/bin/sh

mkfifo aud0
mkfifo vid0
mkfifo dvdmpg

mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
dvdauthor -o $2 -f dvdmpg
dvdauthor -o $2 -T

rm aud0
rm vid0
rm dvdmpg
********************************
This produces a directory with the name given to the script and the
required to subdirectories VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS.

Then run:

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
{NAMEOFDIRECTORYSCRIPTPRODUCES}

This produces a DVD that plays on any PC (MAC, Linux, & Windows), but
when I try to play it on a home DVD player - the player says disk not
recognized.  If  I take the same NUV file and the same DVD burner and
use Windows and Nero the disk will play fine on the home theater dvd
player????  I have also tried the "-dvd-video" switch for growisofs and
no "-speed=" switch.  Any thoughts on where I might be messing up?
Chris