[mythtv-users] Re: SOLICITATION: Record/Transcode Parameters Wanted

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 2 13:42:34 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 12:12:11PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 02 September 2004 11:46 am, Tony Lill wrote:
> > >
> > > I personally haven't yet walked the code, and I gather David Greaves
> > > sort of stubbed his toe when he started doing that once before.
> > >
> > > I can understand why a project in forward motion might resist too much
> > > official-looking documentation about how the internals work (right now
> > >
> > > :-); I'm trying to find a happy meedium.
> >
> > If there was some documentation, you would probably get more
> > contributors. Except for the most trival changes, you'd have to spend
> > a considerable amount of time wrapping your mind around the code, and
> > by then, someone else may have re-written it anyway...
>
> Funny, people said the exact the same thing about 'if there was a bugzilla'.

Well, I'm Bugzilla *Guy*, and you're not, entirely, at the stage where
I would post stuff there yet; the problem is as likely to be the user
as the code, at this stage, which isn't the best circumstance for BZ.

It's mostly a second-stage traige tool, for things which are *clearly*
bugs or feature requests, so developers can figure out what to work on
and in what order; you don't really *want* to use them for first-tier
triage, in my opinion; IRC and lists are better for that.

I'll likely distill this into a "what do I do when it won't work" page
on the Wiki.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi