[mythtv-users] My next Myth box

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 2 15:50:20 EDT 2004

DTR wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> DTR wrote:
>>
>>> 6 grand for a p4 2.8, a 30 inch LCD and a set of toy speakers???  Ouch!
>>>
>>> For 6k you should be able to put together a put together a similar
>>> package yourself with a real receiver and speakers that will peel the
>>> paint off your walls.
>>
>> I already have a very nice Yamaha sound system (and it can peel
>> paint), a 47" HDTV and an Athlon XP 3200 myth box. The price isn't the
>> point. The form-factor is. You can't just "put together a similar
>> package".
>
> You mean the ugly-massive-integrated-LCD/CPU-eyesore-on-the-wall form
> factor?

You don't like it, don't get it, you're welcome to your own opinion. I'm
struggling to see why you think its so ugly. I'd say it isn't flashy and
elegant, but it looks pretty unobtrusive to me. But that's just my
opinion. There are quite a few people that really like all-in-one designs.

> And you want to pay *extra* for that?

Did I, or did I not say: "The price isn't the point"?

> One of the main attractions of LCD is the tiny footprint and
> elegant/slim profile.

THE main attraction is the picture quality. And 5.25" *is* a tiny
footprint and slim profile compared with many televisions. Yes, there
are thinner. But then you need somewhere to stick the computer. No more
tiny footprint.

> So basically you are taking one of the best
> features of LCDs, tossing it out the window, and charging extra for it.
>  Meanwhile you can get a streamlined 30" LCD TV from Dell with the same
> specs for $2500 and have $3500 left over for a machine

One more time, with feeling: the price isn't the point.

> which you can
> toss inside a 1U/2U housing and fit right into your AV rack/media closet.

Because 1U and 2U machines are generally SOOOO quiet... And then you
don't have an all-in-one package, which was the whole point. Obviously,
this machine wouldn't work for you. But your TV viewing room isn't the
only one in consideration here. I don't *want* an AV rack in my bedroom
or living room. I've got one in my media room, yes, but an all-in-one
design works MUCH better in places where you don't have an AV rack.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...