[mythtv-users] Does MythTV Obviate a DVD Player?

Renaud Desarzens rde_lists at desarzens.ch
Fri Sep 3 03:56:45 EDT 2004

David Rees wrote, on 9/3/2004 9:19 AM
> The only reason I haven't gotten rid of my DVD player yet is
> that I'm not sure what the best route to get 5.1 digital out
> sound working.  Any suggested setups?  Right now I'm using
> using standard analog 2ch sound from my onboard VT8233...
> Works fine for TV and cable recordings, but doesn't cut it
> for DVDs.  Any tips or documentation anyone can point me to?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

For 5.1 digital out you'll need a sound card with s/pdif out support. You
then need to configure ALSA or OSS in order to get it working. Mine works
perfect with a SB live! card and the emu10k1 driver. All sound goes out
through "optical s/pdif out" to my AV receiver which detects automatically
if it's normal PCM stereo (44.1khz), dolby digital 5.1 (48khz), etc.

Personally I found those instructions very useful:

http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=DigitalAudioHowTo

http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo

They're mainly based on nforce2 onboard sound but most of it can be applied
to other sound cards as well.

HTH
Renaud