[mythtv-users] resolution, bit rate, transcoding

Dr NoName spamacct11 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 12:20:56 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have Hauppage PVR-250 and I'm wondering what the
best settings are for capture resolution and bitrate.

I am planning to hook up the mythtv box to my tv
eventually. This is a regular format (non-wide screen)
tv. Will 720x480 give me black border?

>From what I read, my video card (ATI Rage LT) supports
only 640x480 and 800x600 TV out. Will this be a
problem? I want the output to be full screen.

I want to be able to cut out the commercials. However,
from what I read, mythtv will also convert the source
video to mpeg4 when doing that. Will that not decrease
quality? What is the optimal bitrate for capturing
(PVR-250 mpeg2) and transcoding (mpeg4 it seems...)?

thanks,

Eugene