[mythtv-users] Looking for your experience

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 14:31:56 EDT 2004

Hey all,
I must first admit, I am a newbie to MythTV, although that's not my
reason for this.  I'm going to use you all for your experience in
dealing with the hardware side of this...
Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on the *BEST* hardware setup...
the cost isn't that much of an issue....

Current Plan->
TV-in: PVR-250
TV-out: No clue...I have an All-in-wonder so I need to buy a new one
Processor: Most likely AMD 2000-3000 or something
Case/Mobo/Form Factor: Anyone research this and find something really
cool that's not a Shuttle (too expensive for what you get)?
Hard Drives: How much, how snappy? I'll probably be recording about
1-2hours a day and deleting it after I watch
Sound Card: I'm assuming Audigy 2 Platinum, anything better?
DVD-ROM: How fast to emulate a store bought DVD player?

As far as the distro goes, I'll be using ArchLinux (www.archlinux.org)
because it's the best distro ever 8)... although if I end up settling
for a less powerful machine, I may try gentoo for the little
performance boosts....

I am building this for me and my girlfriend, and the total cost isn't
THAT big of a deal.... because I'm doing it for her (awwwwww, how
cute!)

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Griffin