[mythtv-users] Looking for your experience

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 19:19:48 EDT 2004

Yeah, I apologize for the post... the problem is that when you're
looking for a "best" hardware setup, things tend to get dated.
Perhaps someone should setup a "MythTV Stats"  program which will
automatically send hardware and software info to a central server, so
people can search for popularity and things (not a bad idea if I do
say so myself).

> Next question: Do you want it [fitting] together with your Hi-fi equipment or
> do you just plan to shove it in a corner where it's inconspicuous ?
Yeah, I want it to look nice, but I don't like the "VCR" look... I
kinda want a cube case so (as stated) it compliments my GameCube and
other things... Shuttle cases are expensive, yet I like the Antec one.
 I'll do some digging for a good cube-ish case.

> And well, about the sound and DVD issue... sorry, but you could have guessed
> that yourself. The "speed" of a DVD and / or CD are just that; they're
> relative speeds measured to the original equipment speed, i.e. the video /
> audio content they were meant for.
Not to sound dumb here, but I honestly never knew that.  Yeah it's
obvious, but I just ever put thought into it.  Now it makes sense, so
thanks!

> Please heed my advice on disk size.  I have a 160 GB drive that has been 99%
> full since last june and it gets more and more painful to delete shows to
> make room for newer stuff...  Or maybe that's just me.  But consider yourself
> warned about that.  There is _always_ stuff you will want to keep, even if it
> is only some CNN news item or MTV clip (or, heaven forbid, Oprah...)
Yeah I was planning on starting off with a 200GB drive... and later on
if that becomes a problem I'll add another in tandem (whatever is a
good size at that point in time.... 500GB?)

Thanks for the input, everyone that helped me out