[mythtv-users] Re: How to rip audio from a nuv file??

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 11:19:29 EDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:44:38 -0400, Dave Bush <hockeystatman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:23:51 -0400, Dave Bush <hockeystatman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay - my wife is watching an Elton John thingy from PBS that MythTV
> > grabbed, and suddenly I get asked "I know you can convert these things
> > into different formats. How about just the audio portion to mp3?"
> >
> > Blank stare back at her...
> >
> > "I don't know - I'll ask the list."
> >
> > So... I'm asking... I'm sure it can be done, but how?
>
> Okay - I think I'm on the trail, but not quite there. I went to
> convert something with nuvexport, and one of the options is MP3 but
> it's disabled.
>
> Does anyone know if that means I'm missing a dependency or if it's
> just not implemented? Any help in getting it going would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Well, a kludgy way would be to nuvexport an mpeg or avi then rip the
audio out of that.

For example:
mplayer -vo null -nogui -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio.mp2 myvideo.mpg
or
mplayer -vo null -nogui -ao pcm -aofile audio.wav myvideo.avi

This has a little more on extracting audio:
http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/separate/tricks.html