[mythtv-users] PVR-250 MCE

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 5 18:24:42 EDT 2004

On 09/05/2004 05:49 PM, Justin Hart wrote:

>Does the PVR-250 MCE work with MythTV?

Yes, however, you will need to have a version of IvyTV (the drivers for
the PVR-x50's) that supports your card.  You might be able to get
version 0.1.9 (the stable version) to work by specifying a cardtype, but
0.1.10-pre2 with Chris Kennedy's patches (
http://67.18.1.101/~ckennedy/ivtv ) will autodetect an MCE.  (And, if
you're extremely lucky, your tuner.  See my post at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/82628 .)

>  It looks to be about $40
>cheaper.  What is different about it

I does not come with an IR remote, but it does have an FM radio tuner.
The PVR-250 has an IR remote, but no FM radio tuner (actually, a few
PVR-250's have radio, but I wouldn't count on yours having it).

> that makes it less expensive?

In my opinion, the IR remote isn't worth $40, so I figure it's some
marketing thing to get the Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition PC's
to use it.  They reduce the price, but increase the volume... (Sell
every one at a loss, but make up for it in volume. :)

>Is
>it worth saving the money for this, or should I go with the PVR-250?

Yes.  But then again, I wanted an RF remote (instead of IR), so all my
Hauppauge remotes are sitting in a corner.

Mike