[mythtv-users] no keyboard within externel applications

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 6 12:27:32 EDT 2004

On 09/06/2004 11:47 AM, Sebastian Heuer wrote:

> I used to start mythfrontend directly via .xinitrc, but that way I
> lost keyboard control over every external program called by mythtv
> (like mplayer etc).

I think that's because you weren't using a WM before.

> Anyway, I will try your way of starting mythtv using .xinitrc.
>
>> What are the settings for focus policy?  In ~/.fluxbox/init
>>
>> session.screen0.focusModel:     SemiSloppyFocus
>> session.screen0.focusLastWindow:        TRUE
>> session.screen0.focusNewWindows:        TRUE
>>
>> And autoraise?
>>
>> session.screen0.autoRaise:      TRUE
>> session.autoRaiseDelay: 250
>>
>> Do you have any settings in ~/.fluxbox/apps (i.e. specifying that
>> mythfrontend be on the layer "Above Dock" or that xmame and snes9x be
>> on a lower layer than the default)?  Do the games have any
>> preferences that allow you to request a specific layer?
>
> I double-checked those settings, everything is configured the way it
> should be... I recognized that I can't Alt-Tab' out of mythfrontend
> though. I tried starting mythfrontend out of xterm, which worked, but
> I was not able to switch back to xterm or to another workspace without
> closing mythfrontend first.

Do you have Atl-Tab configured to switch windows?  I.e. in your
~/.fluxbox/keys file:

Mod1 Tab :NextWindow
Mod1 Shift Tab :PrevWindow

> ~/.fluxbox/apps is non-existant here btw  ;)

That's good.  It means Fluxbox is putting everything on the default
layer (which is what you want).

One more thing I'll mention is that with Fluxbox, you might experience
focus issues with Myth *after* using external programs.  I just posted a
message with an ugly (but effective) workaround (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/82722 ).  If you
don't get these issues, I'd love to know how you're avoiding them...  :)

Mike