[mythtv-users] no keyboard within externel applications

Sebastian Heuer seb at belanur.de
Mon Sep 6 13:26:03 EDT 2004

>> I used to start mythfrontend directly via .xinitrc, but that way I
>> lost keyboard control over every external program called by mythtv
>> (like mplayer etc).
>

> I think that's because you weren't using a WM before.

You're right. Anyway, starting mythfrontend via .xinitc gives me the
same result as using the RootCommand Option of fluxbox. :(

> Do you have Atl-Tab configured to switch windows?  I.e. in your
> ~/.fluxbox/keys file:
>
> Mod1 Tab :NextWindow
> Mod1 Shift Tab :PrevWindow

Yes, key configuration is as above. I found that I actually CAN Alt-Tab
out of myth, BUT the screen doesn't change... meaning after pressing
ALT-Tab I still see the myth window... The only odd message I can see in
the logs is this one:

MythThemedDialog.o: something is requesting a screen update of zero
size. A widget probably has not done a calculateScreeArea(). Will redraw
the whole screen (inefficient!).

This message does repeat several times before and after starting SNES9x.

> One more thing I'll mention is that with Fluxbox, you might experience
> focus issues with Myth *after* using external programs.  I just posted
> a message with an ugly (but effective) workaround (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/82722 ).  If you
> don't get these issues, I'd love to know how you're avoiding them...  :)

Yes I've read the thread - but I don't get these problems... I am using
fluxbox 0.9.10 (from the Gentoo Portage Tree) and Xorg 6.7.0-r1. No
special configuration used as I am relatively new to X and window
managers ;)

Well I think I'll try another wm next... which one is equally slim as
fluxbox and shouldn't have problems mit mythtv?

thanks,

seb.