[mythtv-users] Best setup for stability

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 11:16:32 EDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:48:29 -0700 (PDT), Robert Goodkin
<rgoodkin2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a hardware list
>
> Nforce2 ULTRA400 MB
> AthlonXP 2500+
> 512M Ram
> LeadTek Winfast TV Deluxe
> PVR-250
> Onboard Sound
> Nvidia Geforce2 something with TV-out
>
> Having some nasty stability problems with this setup.
> The backend dies unexpectedly and actually takes the
> system with it.  Run gentoo and was trying to use an
> older 2.4.x kernel.  Wondered if a 2.6.x variant might
> be any better?
>
> THanks!

Sounds to me like you may be getting bitten by a nasty bug that
certain version of the kernel have with some nforce2 chipsets.  You
can google for it.  A work around is using "noapic and acpi=off" in
your kernel flags, if that is your problem.  Give it a shot and if it
fixes it then upgrading to a kernel without that problem WILL help.