"Value-minded" system configuration (was Re: [mythtv-users] Lookingfor your experience)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 7 17:16:14 EDT 2004

On 09/07/2004 03:01 PM, Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

>If you are really into value, you should consider one of the AverMedia
>M179's instead of the Haupage:
>  http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
>
>At $53, its hard to beat and has the same encoding as the 250's. Most
>people report good results, some don't.
>
>It seems to be giving me good picture quality so far.

One last thing I should probably mention.  With the current CK patches
for ivtv, PVR-x50's are autodetected.  Therefore, no module options are
necessary (getting these correct have proven to be the hardest part of
configuring ivtv, so the process was automated in the CK patches--thanks
Hans).  However, due to lack of documentation and sparcity of m179
users, the Avermedia cards are *not* autodetected and require specifying
all appropriate module options manually.  So, if you consider saving a
couple hours (if you've done it before) up to several days or a week (if
you haven't) of trial and error testing a fair trade for spending the
extra $75, you might want to stick with the PVR-x50's.

Mike