[mythtv-users] OT: Home Theater wiring questions

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Sep 9 13:10:29 EDT 2004

I'm not putting an addition on, but I'm building out my basement and
just went through this...

Faceplates - stay with Leviton.  Widely available, lots of colors, can
match the rest of your outlets to these eventually, they have just about
every kind of interface known to man for the snap-in modules.

I buy almost all my cable from here:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/speaker-cable.html

Speaker wire - I try to stay away from Monster - lots of cash and not a
whole lot better than some other brands.

Coax - buy quad shield.  The difference is amazing.  If your going to do
it yourself, spend the cash and get the good compression fitting
digi-con connectors and compression tool.  Try not to go the crimp route
- the quality just isn't there.

While you're at it, run at least two extra cat 5/6 connections.  One of
them can double as the hardwired IR distribution if you ever need it.

One more important item that gets overlooked a lot - room acoustics.  If
you can afford it, put homosote on underneath the drywall.  IT will soak
up sound like you wouldn't believe.

Or, if you're looking for a pretty good sound proofing solution, I think
a different configuration for the walls will give a much better sound
deading effect.  For example, a staggered 2x4 stud wall with double 1/2"
drywall on each side with insulation in between will give a STC rating
of 53 ... which pretty good.  I did a layer of homosote and a layer of
drywall and got a rating of 42, which I thought was ore

Sort of like:
      2x4          2x4           2x4
--\   |    /---\   |    /---\    |   /-- insulation
|   \---/    |   \---/    |    \---/
2x4         2x4          2x4

This is how I did my 2x4 setup (looking from the top down, with a layer
of insulation threaded through the 2x4 studs.  They weren't load
bearing, which might affect your decision on how to do it.  I do know
that my mark levinson amp sounds better now than it ever has, and I'm
convinced it's because of the way I built out the home theater room.

I'm not an expert by any means, so take all this as just the ramblings
of a guy who just did all this for his own house.

Good luck, and take lots of pictures!

Paul

>>> jep at obrien-pifer.com 09/09/04 12:26 PM >>>
Anyone here know home theater wiring really well and wouldn't mind
giving their opinion on a few questions? Please DO NOT reply to the
list. If you're willing, please reply to me directly at
jep at obrien-pifer.com. Sorry to the list for the OT, but not sure where
else to ask and this list if full of home theater nuts!

I'm building an addition on my house and one of the rooms is for my home
theater, including the main component: MythTV. I have the chance to run
the cabling through the walls, ie cable wire and speaker cable.

For speakers I'm going to run wiring and have faceplates setup for at
least 6.1 sound (maybe 7.1?). I'm trying to figure out what speaker
cable to buy. I was thinking Monster speaker wire, but I don't just want
to dump a lot of money into a name. I found this searching on ebay and
wondering if I could get any opinions based on the descriptions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5719581409&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Other recommendations?

I'm also going to run some Cable TV wire and looking for the same
opinions. I found this from the same ebay seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3825157264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Other recommendations?

Lastly, I'm interested in suggestions for what to use for the faceplates
if anyone has some experience with it. I'd like to try and do this right
while I have the chance.

Thanks a lot.
James