[mythtv-users] display resolution switching still not working

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Thu Sep 9 21:19:10 EDT 2004

John Patrick Poet wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, James Armstrong wrote:
>

>>I am still having a problem with the Use different screen size option. I
>>start X using KDE at 1920x1080i. Looks good. Mythfrontend starts then
>>switches to the 888x508 size as I have it set. Everything looks good. If
>>I play a 720x480 show it looks good. I have the default size set to
>>888x508, the same as the gui. I have an entry for 1920x1080 video format
>>that uses the resolution of 1920x1080i. The screen resizes when I
>>playback a file of that size but I am still getting just the upper left
>>corner of the recording showing on the screen.
>>

>If a 1920x1080i show is the first thing you watch after starting
>mythfrontend, does the "right" thing happen?
>

>>The rest of the video is
>>hidden or not shown. I get the standard desktop background on the other
>>3/4 of the screen.
>>

>Interesting.  I have not seen that behavior in a very long time.  I still
>get the behavior where the rest of the screen is black occasionally, but a
>restart of X fixes the problem.
>

>>I am using myth v0.16  from cvs last night on Fedora
>>core 1.
>>
>>- James

Ok, ignore previous message from me. I wanted to be sure the switch
resolution was working so I enabled verbose on playback. It appears it
was still switching to the 888x508 because the video was recorded at
1920x1088 for some reason and I only had 1920x1080 in the setup as one
of the alternatives. I added 1920x1088 as the second alternative and set
it to switch to 1920x1080i. I restarted X and it starts in 1920x1080i
then mythfrontend starts and it changes to 888x508 and looks ok. When I
playback the 1920x1088 show it flashes black, then the desktop shows,
then the upper left quarter of the recording plays in the upper left
corner of the desktop.

On that note, maybe we can have the code that checks for the width and
height of the video to determine the screen size to switch to do
something like if Width is >= to set option and Height is >= set option
then switch resolutions. That way if the video is recorded as 1920x1080
or 1920x1088 it will switch if the setting is 1920x1080. That would
still leave the second option open for other resolutions.

Let me know what else you might need. Running FC1, XFree86  release
4.3.0, KDE desktop, NVidia driver 6111

- James