[mythtv-users] MythTV + ARS + AntennaWeb = MythRotor?

Nathan Schiffer edgeofepsilon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 22:28:04 EDT 2004

First submission, woohoo!

I heard somewhere about a service called AntennaWeb that will give you
a list of the strongest TV channels in your area. (check it out at
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx ) It gives you great stats
like their relative strength, channel and frequency, network and
callsign, and most importantly compass direction.

It occured to me that this could be the makings of a great MythTV
addon.  I looked for rotor controllers online, and found one called
ARS (Antenna Rotator System, http://www.ea4tx.com/products/ars.htm ).
They're currently working on making drivers for Linux, but it's still
in beta (they're seeking testers).

So the question is - is anyone interested in making an addon that
would query AntennaWeb (it would only have to be once, the user could
even do it), then stores the locations and rotates the antenna when
the channel is changed?  The frontend wouldn't be much, a manual rotor
screen would be nice, and some sort of indicator on the HUD to say
that it is tracking to a station.  And if the extension would
automatically adjust the position based on the signal strength, that
would just be the cat's meow.  You have to admit, it would certainly
be something unique that only MythTV would have.