[mythtv-users] Timeslot scheduling bug?

Cedric Tefft cedric at phreaker.net
Fri Sep 10 00:41:59 EDT 2004

I just noticed that with a weekly timeslot recording, myth won't
consider earlier or later showings of that same episide even when doing
so would avoid a conflict. For example, let's say I've told Myth to
record "Show A" on Channel 1 every Friday at 9 p.m. But this week, I've
also scheduled a one-time recording for 9 pm Friday on Channel 2.  Now,
here's the thing.  Even though Channel 1 re-airs the 9 pm episode of
"Show A" at 11 pm, Myth won't resolve the conflict by bumping the
recording of Show A to the 11 pm  timeslot.

In the strictest sense, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do
(record ONLY in the timeslot I've designated), however it seems to me
that the desired behavior is for myth to use the timeslot information
only to determine *which* episide you want to record ("ah, OK, the 9 PM
showing is episide "The Pilot", so that's the episode I should record,
regardless of the timeslot).  The actual recording time would still be
determined by using the airtime that results in the least number of
conflicts.

In my mind, the way it works now is actually a bug, but I thought I'd
ask the list's opinion before I go digging through the code to try to
"fix" it.  Does anybody think Myth should do what it does now --
doggedly stick to the specified timeslot when there are other showings
of the same episide -- even if that means generating a conflict?

- Cedric

P.S:   Oh, and I know somebody's bound to ask why I don't just use the
"always record on this channel" option.  The answer is that if Channel 1
airs re-runs of "Show A" at other times of the week, you end up
recording a bunch of re-runs that you never really wanted.  If the new
episodes are always aired Fridays at 9, the weekly timeslot recording is
really what you're after..