[mythtv-users] Potential Tivo/NetFlix deal for VoD

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 10 13:33:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:36:57PM -0700, me at johnwesleythomas.com wrote:
> With this feature, Tivo might have a little leg up on the rest of the PVR
> industry including MythTV.  Has there been any discussion concerning Video
> on Demand (VoD) within MythTV?  Maybe the topic has already been brought
> up, but a quick search on the archives didn't turn up anything.
>
> Anybody have any thoughts concerning adding VoD to MythTV?  Are there any
> subsciption services out there that can provide large soft libraries of
> movies at this time or will NetFlix be the first major player?  Maybe
> NetFlix will expand the project to include general PC eligability for
> movie downloads, such as a MythTV node.  Just a thought. ;-)

On topic, this time (:-), I don't forsee this happening anytime soon.
Content creators (and more properly, the Large Corporations which
finance them) are unlikely to release material in this context, unless
they can wrap it in something that (they think) will protect it well
enough, and that sort of thing is, if it's not antithetical to the ideas of
Open Source in *reality*, certainly so in their minds.

I posted a link on the wiki to an article (which may be the same one
(see?  tinyurl :-)) on this topic.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi