Subject: [mythtv-users] Remote Backend

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sat Sep 11 15:04:51 EDT 2004


> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:06:43 -0500
> From: "Jake Sanders" <mythtv at sanders-family.us>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Remote Backend
> To: "MythtvUsers" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <LPEBICMJABECGHDADDCGGEHBCIAA.mythtv at sanders-family.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> I've currently got a Mandrake 10 system with a non-MPEG capture card. 
> I got
> a new PVR 250 (Model 980) card yesterday, and fought with it all night
> trying to get it to work.
> 
> I've finally decided that the only hope of getting it to work is to
> switch
> to another distro.  However, I fear if I try to switch the system I'm
> using
> to another distro, I will lose capability that I have already spent
> weeks
> getting to work.
> 
> Luckily I happen to have another older linux box laying around, and I
> thought I would just throw the PVR 250 in it and use it as a backend
> only
> system.  However, my big harddrive is in the Mandrake 10 box (which
> will
> still be my frontend).
> 
> If I record something on my PVR250 backend, it will save the file over
> the
> network to the frontend box.  Now, finally, for my question.  When I
> want to
> watch a program recorded by the PVR250, I think the frontend will ask
> for
> the data from the remote backend, which will have to read it off the
> disk in
> the frontend (meaning the data has to go from the frontend box to the
> backend box and back to the frontend box).  Is that really the case? 
> Or
> does the backend just tell the frontend where the file is located and
> let it
> read it itself (in which case the frontend would just read the file on
> the
> local disk, and the video doesn't have to cross the network at all)?
> 
> Sorry for the long setup.
> Jake


I'm running 3 M179s just fine on MDK10... Ran a BTTV card for a LONG
time as well with great results.

I really have to do a how-to, it was a piece of cake...

In the meantime, assuming you have a NF2 setup:

Paste each of the following into a root shell, it will add the required
sources:
(grabbed using http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/ )

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://plf.time4t.net/pub/plf/mandrake/10.0 with
synthesis.hdlist.cz 

urpmi.addmedia main 
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/synthesis.hdlist.cz 

urpmi.addmedia contrib 
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/synthesis.hdlist2.cz

finally

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz

If one of the mirrors don't resolve, hit the above link and try another.

in drakconf, deselect your CDs as sources, assuming a HS net connection.

As you are using the 2.6 series kernels on MDK10, modules.conf does
NOTHING, 2.4 ONLY.

2.6 modutils use modprobe.config and modprobe.preload, and the "before"
and "after" args no longer work. 

My modprobe.conf:

(adapted from Jarrods 2.4 examples)

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias eth0 forcedeth
#below line essential for proper audio sync for transcoding from mythtv
#on NF2 with MB sound audio capture  (bt878)
options i810_audio clocking=48000
#for bt878 avertv-stereo card 
options bttv whitecrush_upper=207 whitecrush_lower=127 latency=128
vbibufs=32 tuner=2 gbuffers=32
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-ohci; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd;
/bin/true
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options tuner type=2 # NTSC tuner, YMMV
#the ivtv builds in the sds kernels available on thacs have a std
#msp3400 *and* a custom ivtv-msp3400 module. You want the latter.
options ivtv-msp3400 once=1 simple=1
alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia

and modprobe.preload:

i810_audio clocking=48000
bttv
scsi_hostadapter
nvidia
ivtv
ivtv-msp3400
saa7115
tuner

If you are using the std 2.6.3-7 MDK10 kernel, use the supplied msp3400
module, it works, but expect scratchy audio.

Reboot so it finds HW. 

in root shell:

urpmi mythtv-suite ivtv- -a

As it installs mythtv, read the instructions and remember to create an
initial mythconverg.

Then run mythtvsetup, might want to hit zap2it.com and set up an account
first. (in NA). Set up your card(s) and data source.

In drakconf, services, make sure mysql and mythbackend are set to start
on boot...

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 11:01, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Send mythtv-users mailing list submissions to
> 	mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	mythtv-users-owner at mythtv.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of mythtv-users digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: Distro roulette... (slight OT) (mark)
>    2. Re: Distro roulette... (slight OT) (Stephen Tait)
>    3. Re: Distro roulette... (slight OT) (Rob Hillis)
>    4. Remote Backend (Jake Sanders)
>    5. Re: Distro roulette... (slight OT) (Stephen Tait)
>    6. Re: Hundreds "DVB#0 WARNING - Uncorrectable error in	packet,
>       dropped" messages every second (Hamish Moffatt)
>    7. Re: OT: Help accidentally deleted /dev/ttyS1 (Michael T. Dean)
>    8. Re: Distro roulette... (slight OT) (Rudy Zijlstra)
>    9. Re: Remote Backend (Chris Pinkham)
>   10. RE: UK Radio Times grabber looks like it's dead (Paul Woodward)
>   11. Re: Distro roulette... (slight OT) (Hamish Moffatt)
>   12. Re: mythtv 0.16 - unable to create AudioOutput (Don Cramer)
>   13. Problem with Search IMDB in 0.16 (Darren Richards)
>   14. Re: display resolution switching still not working
>       (dean vanden heuvel)
>   15. Re: mfd problem (thor)
>   16. Re: atrpms error with 0.16 and Titivillus (Bill Bradley)
>   17. Re: UK Radio Times grabber looks like it's dead (David)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:33:03 -0400
> From: mark <fairlane at springcom.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Distro roulette... (slight OT)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <200409110933.03463.fairlane at springcom.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Ack, I'd forgotten about Gentoo.  But it seems to me that you still need
> the 'emerge' packaging scheme?  I've not used it, so I'm not sure about that.
> Does it still allow the oldschool make, make install routine?
> 
> On Saturday 11 September 2004 08:31 am, Stephen Tait wrote:
> > At 07:53 11/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> > >I've decided to ditch Mandrake and it's dependency hell and modifications.
> > >I'm looking for a distro that uses primarily source code, and
> > >not dependent on packages.  I'm fairly comfortable compiling
> > >from tar.gz source, and would like to stay with that.
> > >
> > >Some I've found:
> > >Slackware 10.0
> > >Sorcerer
> > >Lunar Linux
> > >Arch Linux
> > >
> > >Does anyone have any experience with these?  With an eye for Mythtv 0.16?
> > >I'm doing a fresh install of everything to try and solve a crashing
> > > problem that nobody can pin down.  It's not hardware, I've been through
> > > that.
> > >
> > >I don't want to reinstall Mandrake because of the issues I had updating
> > >to code that wasn't 'officially supported' in cooker.  And the LIRC
> > > compile was miserable too.
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Mark
> >
> > I'd second the gentoo option. There's a fair few comprehensive guides on
> > getting Myth up and running, and your USE flags make it very easy to make a
> > very lightweight system that is sometimes hard to achieve with prebuilt
> > binaries. My system pretty much just has X, Qt, fluxbox, xine, samba and
> > apache on it, no KDE or GNOME or anything else so similarly huge.
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:55:47 +0100
> From: Stephen Tait <tait at digitallaw.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Distro roulette... (slight OT)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <5.2.0.9.0.20040911144819.02b15038 at mail.digitallaw.co.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
> 
> At 09:33 11/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> >Ack, I'd forgotten about Gentoo.  But it seems to me that you still need
> >the 'emerge' packaging scheme?  I've not used it, so I'm not sure about that.
> >Does it still allow the oldschool make, make install routine?
> 
> Aye, the emerge thing is just the package management system, a la every 
> other distro. The "right" way of installing custom software from source is 
> to roll your own ebuild and then install it via portage/emerge along with 
> the rest of your software, same as downloading a source deb and making your 
> own .deb, or rolling your own RPM. Of course there's nothing preventing you 
> from installing straight from source via configure make make install, but 
> of course as with other distros this can have a bad effect with clashing 
> packages (the guy who used to roll out our linux boxes at work had a 
> fantastic habit of installing a debian stable system, and then installing 
> all the important software - namely samba and MySQL - straight from source, 
> which made my job of maintaining these boxes a complete and utter nightmare).
> 
> Obviously, if you're more comfortable with the make make install way of 
> doing things, something like Slackware would probably be a better option, 
> as I imagine it'll give you even more control than "Slackware for dummies" 
> ;) However, I'm very satisfied with Gentoo at the moment, and don't have a 
> good reason to switch yet :) 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:08:48 +1000
> From: Rob Hillis <rob at hillis.dyndns.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Distro roulette... (slight OT)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <414306F0.6090107 at hillis.dyndns.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> Stephen Tait wrote:
> 
> > Of course there's nothing preventing you from installing straight from 
> > source via configure make make install, but of course as with other 
> > distros this can have a bad effect with clashing packages
> 
> 
> That's what ebuild inject is for.  It tells Portage that "that 
> dependancy is taken care of" when you've built your own from source.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:06:43 -0500
> From: "Jake Sanders" <mythtv at sanders-family.us>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Remote Backend
> To: "MythtvUsers" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <LPEBICMJABECGHDADDCGGEHBCIAA.mythtv at sanders-family.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> I've currently got a Mandrake 10 system with a non-MPEG capture card.  I got
> a new PVR 250 (Model 980) card yesterday, and fought with it all night
> trying to get it to work.
> 
> I've finally decided that the only hope of getting it to work is to switch
> to another distro.  However, I fear if I try to switch the system I'm using
> to another distro, I will lose capability that I have already spent weeks
> getting to work.
> 
> Luckily I happen to have another older linux box laying around, and I
> thought I would just throw the PVR 250 in it and use it as a backend only
> system.  However, my big harddrive is in the Mandrake 10 box (which will
> still be my frontend).
> 
> If I record something on my PVR250 backend, it will save the file over the
> network to the frontend box.  Now, finally, for my question.  When I want to
> watch a program recorded by the PVR250, I think the frontend will ask for
> the data from the remote backend, which will have to read it off the disk in
> the frontend (meaning the data has to go from the frontend box to the
> backend box and back to the frontend box).  Is that really the case?  Or
> does the backend just tell the frontend where the file is located and let it
> read it itself (in which case the frontend would just read the file on the
> local disk, and the video doesn't have to cross the network at all)?
> 
> Sorry for the long setup.
> Jake
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:33:17 +0100
> From: Stephen Tait <tait at digitallaw.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Distro roulette... (slight OT)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <5.2.0.9.0.20040911153135.0264f6b8 at mail.digitallaw.co.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
> 
> At 00:08 12/09/2004 +1000, you wrote:
> >Stephen Tait wrote:
> >
> >>Of course there's nothing preventing you from installing straight from 
> >>source via configure make make install, but of course as with other 
> >>distros this can have a bad effect with clashing packages
> >
> >
> >That's what ebuild inject is for.  It tells Portage that "that dependancy 
> >is taken care of" when you've built your own from source.
> 
> D'oh! Someone wasn't paying attention when they read the portage manuals...
> 
> Do other more mainstream distros support things like this? I've always just 
> rolled my own deb when I need to do anything non-standard. 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:30:27 +1000
> From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Hundreds "DVB#0 WARNING - Uncorrectable
> 	error in	packet, dropped" messages every second
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <20040911143027.GB14729 at cloud.net.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 07:41:30AM +0100, Danny Robinson wrote:
> > Thanks Hamish,
> > 
> > Would be surprised if there was a signal problem as I've had a new
> > aerial, boosters, etc. and the result was a really strong signal.
> > 
> > Do you know how these messages can be turned off?
> 
> Only by hacking the source, as far as I know.
> 
> Usually real corruption would be accompanied by lots (LOTS!) of
> transport stream continuity errors, and you'd also see visible
> corruption and audio cracks and pops too. If you're not getting those,
> the errors could really be fictitious. (Might be worth reporting that on
> the linux-dvb list then.)
> 
> Hamish
> -- 
> Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish at debian.org> <hamish at cloud.net.au>
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:40:03 -0400
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OT: Help accidentally deleted /dev/ttyS1
> To: Brandt Kurowski <brandtkurowski at gmail.com>,	Discussion about
> 	mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <41430E43.1000800 at thirdcontact.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> On 09/11/2004 02:04 AM, Brandt Kurowski wrote:
> 
> >On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:42:43 -0400, John F. DeLuca
> ><johnfdeluca at comcast.net> wrote:
> >  
> >
> >>I accidentally deleted /dev/ttyS1 and now LIRC is not working.  Can anyone tell me
> >>how to restore/recreate it?
> >>    
> >>
> >
> >$ man MAKEDEV
> >  
> >
> Or,
> 
> cd /dev
> mknod -m 660 ttyS1 c 4 65 ; chgrp dialout ttyS1
> 
> if you don't have the MAKEDEV program/script.  (Note that your distro 
> may use a different group for the device.  Verify group name by looking 
> at the other ttyS? nodes.)
> 
> Mike
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:50:06 +0200
> From: Rudy Zijlstra <mythtv at edsons.demon.nl>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Distro roulette... (slight OT)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <4143109E.7070507 at edsons.demon.nl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
> 
> mark wrote:
> 
> >I've decided to ditch Mandrake and it's dependency hell and modifications.
> >I'm looking for a distro that uses primarily source code, and
> >not dependent on packages.  I'm fairly comfortable compiling
> >from tar.gz source, and would like to stay with that.
> >
> >Some I've found:  
> >Slackware 10.0
> >  
> >
> My myth boxen are all running slackware. I'm using PVR-x50 capture cards 
> in PAL country.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Rudy
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:58:35 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Chris Pinkham" <cpinkham at bc2va.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Remote Backend
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Message-ID: <200409111458.i8BEwaGY016939 at panther.bc2va.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> > If I record something on my PVR250 backend, it will save the file over the
> > network to the frontend box.  Now, finally, for my question.  When I want to
> > watch a program recorded by the PVR250, I think the frontend will ask for
> > the data from the remote backend, which will have to read it off the disk in
> > the frontend (meaning the data has to go from the frontend box to the
> > backend box and back to the frontend box).  Is that really the case?  Or
> > does the backend just tell the frontend where the file is located and let it
> > read it itself (in which case the frontend would just read the file on the
> > local disk, and the video doesn't have to cross the network at all)?
> 
> If a frontend has access to a recorded file via a normal filesystem (whether
> it's a local filesystem or an nfs-mounted filesytem), the frontend should read
> the file directly rather than asking the backend to stream the file.  This
> feature is used by a lot of people that have their recordings directory exported
> via NFS and mounted on all the remote frontends.  Some people, including myself,
> have the recordings directory mounted via NFS everywhere, including the master
> backend, so all backends and frontends share the same directory mounted off
> a NFS server which doesn't even have Myth installed on it.  This feature helps
> keep network traffic to a minimum rather than having to send the recording
> data over the network twice.
> 
> -- 
> 
> Chris
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 10
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:01:00 +0100
> From: "Paul Woodward" <paul_woodward at fastnet.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] UK Radio Times grabber looks like it's
> 	dead
> To: "'Damien Tanner'" <dctanner at gmail.com>,	"'Discussion about
> 	mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <032301c49810$2856c390$1500a8c0 at pl2>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Just a thought, but could someone with DVB and broadband provide the
> listings?
> 
> Paul
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
> [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Damien Tanner
> Sent: 11 September 2004 13:01
> To: Discussion about mythtv
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] UK Radio Times grabber looks like it's dead
> 
> Could this PDA feed be converted to xmltv in any way?
> 
> dc.
> 
> 
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:47:38 +0100, Julian Edwards
> <ed at julian-edwards.com> wrote:
> > Mark Cooper wrote:
> > 
> > > Ivor Hewitt ran a survey ( http://www.ivor.it/mythtv/survey.pl )
> back
> > > in January to see how many people would be prepared to pay for a UK
> > > XMLTV feed. From memory ( the page and site appear to be down... )
> > > over 60 people signed up but AFAIK nothing came about from it ... :(
> > >
> > The Radio Times site does a subscription feed for PDAs that costs
> 14.95
> > a year.  As the first post said, it would be nice if they could make
> > this available in XMLTV format.  I'd definitely pay.
> > 
> > J
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > mythtv-users mailing list
> > mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 11
> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:05:52 +1000
> From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Distro roulette... (slight OT)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID: <20040911150552.GE14729 at cloud.net.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 03:33:17PM +0100, Stephen Tait wrote:
> > At 00:08 12/09/2004 +1000, you wrote:
> > >That's what ebuild inject is for.  It tells Portage that "that dependancy 
> > >is taken care of" when you've built your own from source.
> > 
> > D'oh! Someone wasn't paying attention when they read the portage manuals...
> > 
> > Do other more mainstream distros support things like this? I've always just 
> > rolled my own deb when I need to do anything non-standard. 
> 
> There's a Debian tool called "equivs" which will build you dummy
> packages that you can install to satisfy dependencies.
> 
> I always build my own debs of stuff, but I've been building debs for a
> few years now and find it pretty quick & easy.
> 
> Hamish



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list